Sunday, March 28, 2010

Smurf Tube

Although the house is wired for cable and such, I don't know what the future will hold and wanted to provide a method for getting any future technology or wiring in place later on.  My electrician suggested that I use something he called Smurf tube.  It's a flexible plastic pipe called ENT or electrical nonmetalic tubing.  Although it also comes in orange, mine is the distinctive Smurf blue color which generated the nickname.

I went down to the local electrical supply house, asked for Smurf Tube and they looked at me like I was nuts.  I even showed them a photo and they said they didn't have anything like it.  I did a little searching on the web and found that they stock it at Home Depot.
It was a little difficult to get it to everywhere I wanted, but now we're all set for the future.

We're also working on a home monitoring system so we can keep an eye on things when we're away.  Z-Wave has just what we're looking for.  Many manufacturers have compatable product such as controls, sensors, monitoring devices, locks and such.  The Smurf Tube will help with this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment